Blacklisting domains using PowerDNS Recursor

I recently had a client that was wanting to provide a recursive DNS service within his company, however wanted to blacklist a lot of domains to redirect internally. And I mean a lot – over 1 million porn/spam/… domains. It’s one thing to use the excellent unbound recursive DNS software and set up the blocks using the local-data argument, but it was requiring over 6gb of memory to load the list and crashing the process because of that.

As it turns out, yet again PowerDNS to the rescue. I love PowerDNS for its flexibility (so much so that I created a very high performance DNS backend for it and also run a company consulting on DNS deployments).

As the full list of domains would not fit in memory we had to use a database, I took inspiration from a previously posted Lua script which used a tinycdb. Unfortunately tinycdb requires manual compilation and so wasn’t an option, and as the client already had the list of domains in a MySQL deployment we ended up using that. Both PowerDNS authoritative server and recursor can support Lua scripting to do pretty much anything you need, and there are a number of database options that Lua can use. I started off using luadbi as it seemed to have a nicer interface, however unfortunately luadbi only supports lua 5.1 whereas the debian build of PowerDNS uses lua 5.2. This meant switching to use luasql which is a bit lower-level.

So, the following Lua script will redirect any blacklisted subdomains (in the mysql table domains with field name) to 127.0.0.1:

As establishing a MySQL connection each request is quite a high overhead it might well be worth switching to use SQLite in the future, this should be very simple to do by just changing the driver name and connection string.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *